Healthy New Years Resolutions
It’s that time again, when we set goals for the new year to improve our quality of life. Whether you’d like to lose weight, get in better shape, or just improve your overall health and fitness, here are 5 tips to help you make your goals a reality.
1. What do you really want to achieve and by when? In order to reach your goals, you must make them clear, realistic and measurable. Decide when you have lost those 10 lbs or be able to run 3 miles, etc. and mark it on your calendar.
2. Focus on your “Why”, your reasons for wanting the goal. The stronger the reasons why, the more likely you will stick with your program when the going gets tough.
3. Make a plan to reach your goals, and allow it to be flexible. So, instead of working out 7 days a week, plan on exercising 4 or 5 days per week so that it’s doable for the long term.
4. Visualize yourself already there, and use the power of affirmations and intentions to program yourself for success. Always use the present tense. So, instead of saying, “I want to get in better shape”, say something specific like, “I weigh x pounds (your goal weight)”, or “I run for 30 minutes every other day”, or “I choose healthy, lean foods 80% of the time”.
5. Have a strong support system. Support your positive attitude and mindset with fitness related books, magazines, places and people that motivate you to make your healthy habits a lifestyle, not a temporary phase. Hire a trainer or join a class to keep you accountable and consistent.
Remind yourself that “Rome wasn’t built in a day” and “A journey of 1000 miles begins with a first step”, and keep focusing on your goal, even when you reach a plateau. Get back on track ASAP when you get off and make 2012 your healthiest year yet!
Healthy Habits Studio is home to Sacramento Fit Body BootCamps, personal training, a variety of classes and online healthy eating and fitness coaching.